Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Profiles in LEADership: Caroline Haddaway

This year has been very busy so far! I am taking 4 AP classes, I am an active member of Best Buddies, I was selected as Field Hockey co-captain, and I am involved again, this year in the CCPS Robotics team.  These activities are keeping me pretty busy, along with keeping up with my school work. Field Hockey is wrapping up, so I am ready to start pushing forward with some of my planned projects. I am still in the process of setting up my school's chapter of Stand for the Silent, the anti-bullying club. I have a group of students excited to join, a charter and mission statement have been written and I am planning to meet with my school principal next week. It should be up and running soon!  Although this year has been challenging so far, it has been fun and I'm looking forward to see where the rest of the year will go. This winter I will be participating in Mock Trial and Math Club, and our Robotics team will begin planning and building our robot for a competition in the spring. I am also excited that I will be volunteering at the Society of Women Engineers event this winter to help encourage middle school girls to remain active in science, math and engineering. 
 
Along with school and all my activities I am starting to explore colleges that I am interested in. In a few weeks I am going on a college tour to visit The University of Delaware, Swarthmore College, Syracuse University, and a few other engineering schools. I plan to study either Environmental or Marine engineering so that I can learn the skills needed for building sailboats which is a career field I am very interested in pursuing when I graduate. I also hope to participate in a club or varsity sailing team in college. Over this past summer I studied and received my crewing license that allows me to crew a sailboat. I hope to go further with this and eventually get my captains license. I am really hoping to combine my academic and personal interests in college, so it is going to take a little work to find the ideal fit, but I'm confident I can!
 
The skills I learned during my last two summers in the LEAD program have really helped me focus and take matters into my own hands.  I am more confident in setting goals for myself and my accomplishments have served to better myself and also my community.  

No comments: