Thursday, November 8, 2012

Profiles in LEADership: Doug Baumann


LEAD 2012 was an awesome experience for me and I’ve grown in so many ways.  Since attending LEAD, I attended the Maryland Advanced Leadership Workshop at Washington College.  I met more great people and really honed in on my leadership skills.  I spent my summer life guarding and assisting with swim lessons for children.  I hope to become an assistant coach for one of the swim teams next summer. 
As a junior, my college future is quickly approaching.  I aspire to attend the Coast Guard Academy, but I’m also looking at colleges that will afford me the opportunity to play sports throughout my college years and work towards an engineering degree.  I absolutely love engineering.  I’m currently in my 2nd year at the Dr. James A. Forrest Career and Technology Center working towards finishing the engineering program. 
As a continuation of our Oyster Restoration project from LEAD this summer, I’m looking forward to participating in planting another 450 bushels of Spat-On-Shell with the St. Mary’s River Watershed Association during November.  Several others delegates from LEAD will be assisting.  Being out and enjoying the water is one of my favorite past times so this will be a great opportunity for me to give back to the community and spend time out on the water.
Late summer and early fall, I spent many hours with the LHS Varsity football team as a member of the team and as their kicker and wide receiver.  We are headed into the winter sports season and I’m working hard to try to become the junior-captain of our SMAC winning swim team.  LEAD has really given me the confidence to work towards “stepping-up” into these types of roles.  In the spring, I look forward to getting back on the baseball field with the LHS Varsity baseball team now that my elbow has fully healed from the surgery this past spring.  I spent some time this fall playing Legion ball in preparation for the spring season.
I have to say that I’ve grown so much as a person since attending LEAD and ALS.  I have stepped up my grades and want to continue to find ways to step-up as a leader and also to continue to help my community.

No comments: