Monday, January 28, 2013

Profiles in LEADership, Meet Devin & Jared Kimmey


Devin Kimmey

                LEAD 2012 was one of the best experiences for me. It helped me improve in many ways and has overall bettered my life. I am now a junior at Great Mills High School, in the STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) program, and currently taking 4 AP classes including Biology, Calculus, World History, and Language & Composition. I have been a part of the Varsity Golf and Varsity Swim team since my freshman year. This fall I earned the Sportsmanship Award for Varsity Golf. It’s an award given to one person on the team that shows the most teamwork and sportsmanship. I have been on the Honor Roll every year and have been ranked in the top 10% of my class. I am currently starting my college search and have my eyes set the United States Naval Academy in Annapolis, Maryland.

                LEAD has helped me improve my teamwork skills, my communication skills, and my overall leadership skills. I also met many people, that without LEAD I would have never met. As part of STEM, I am required to find and have an internship this coming summer, and these skills will greatly help me receive an internship. I hope to have an internship with an engineer, preferably a nuclear engineer, because that is the field of engineering that I am greatly interested in. I am now fully active in more activities. After school I do a sport or theatre. Golf in the fall, swimming in the winter and either track or theatre in the spring. I am also an officer in the Great Mills Drama Club and a member of the Great Mills Key Club, a club the focuses on charity work and volunteering.

                Within the next couple of months I plan to start on some college visits. I just applied for the Naval Academy Summer Seminar, and plan to take the ACT for the first time and the SAT for my second time. I’m trying to get my SAT score above my 2000 score goal as my first SAT score was a 1730. So I’m not that far off. Hopefully, with me being more active in extracurricular activities and more open to people, I can achieve my current goals, and goals that come up in the future.
 

 

 Jared Kimmey

                Participating in LEAD 2012 was one of the best experiences of the summer. It not only improved my leadership abilities but also my social abilities as well. I am a junior in Great Mills High School of St. Mary’s County. I am also in the STEM program, which incorporates Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics into my education. This year I am very busy taking four AP courses as well as doing multiple sports. My AP courses include Calculus, Physics, World History, and English. These courses proved to be harder than I originally thought, but I’m always up for a challenge. In the fall, I was a part of the Varsity Cross Country team and also participated in the Fall Season of American Legion Baseball. Both seasons ended off really well and I had a lot of fun throughout both seasons. During the winter, I am working on becoming a major contributor to the Great Mills Varsity Baseball pitching rotation and so far it is working out really well.

                LEAD has not only helped improve my overall leadership skills but it has also helped me open up to people faster. Through LEAD I have made many friends from many schools and counties, whom I hope to all see again this summer. I have also started to open up more to my coaches and teammates from multiple sports. These skills will increase my chances of receiving a summer internship, which is required to graduate from the STEM program. I am hoping to receive my internship in an engineering field, but I am still unsure about which field to follow into. So an internship will help me slim down my choices.

                I am looking forward for some college visits soon. I would like to go to an excellent engineering school but also play baseball at the college level. To do this I will need to continue to work hard towards good grades as well as getting a good SAT score, preferably a score of at least 1900. LEAD has really opened up my mind towards everything and I hope that my new skills will continue to help me in life.

 

No comments: